The International Day of Mathematics (IDM) is a worldwide celebration. Each year on March 14 all countries will be invited to participate through activities for both students and the general public in schools, museums, libraries and other spaces.
March 14 is already celebrated in many countries as Pi Day because that date is written as 3/14 in some countries and the mathematical constant Pi is approximately 3.14.
The International Day of Mathematics is a project led by the International Mathematical Union with the support of numerous international and regional organizations.
Join the 2022 celebration
The best way to celebrate the IDM is to host your own event.
Keep in touch and receive updates and news about the International Day of Mathematics via email
You will only receive one or two emails per month at most. Your personal data won't be shared with any third party nor used for any other purposes, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
A new theme every year
Every year we'll announce a new theme to flavor the celebration, spark creativity and bring light to connections between mathematics and all sorts of fields, concepts and ideas.
The theme for the 2022 International Day of Mathematics is
It was proposed by Yuliya Nesterova, a graduate student from the University of Ottawa in Canada. She explains:
“Mathematics unites, to signal that it is a common language we all have and a common subject with which to find one another.”
Support for the International Day of Mathematics
The International Day of Mathematics (IDM) is supported by the following international and regional organizations:
- The International Council of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM),
- The Committee for Women in Mathematics of IMU (CWM),
- The International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI),
- The African Mathematical Union (AMU),
- The European Mathematical Society (EMS),
- The Mathematical Council of the Americas (MCA)
- The Unión Matemática de América Latina y el Caribe (UMALCA),
- The Southeast Asian Mathematical Society (SEAMS)
- The Southern Africa Mathematical Sciences Association (SAMSA)
- The International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
- The Centre international de mathématiques pures et appliquées (CIMPA)
- The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- The African Women in Mathematics Association (AWMA)
- The African Mathematical Union Commission of African Women in Mathematics (AMU-CAWM)
- The European Women in Mathematics (EWM)
- The International Science Council (ISC)